Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Morning

Christmas Eve was wonderful. If by wonderful you think I mean it was perfect – not exactly.

You see, I was sick with the flu on the 23rd so for my Christmas Eve dinner, I swapped the caviar pie hors d’oeuvre for cheese and crackers; the spinach soufflé for cooked carrots; and called a guest asking them to bring dessert.

But I was still looking forward to a festive time as I happily bounced out to the car to get that last item I had forgotten. The trip resulted in a $95 bill – I decided to buy one bottle of wine for a gift so had to buy 6 to get 30% off. You know the drill.

When I returned, humming “What child is this”, I saw a brown spot and silver foil on the carpet.

Lady, my “perfect” cocker spaniel had enjoyed the 8 chocolate Santas I had left on the floor to wrap for a few children who would now celebrate a chocolate-free Christmas. Lady had dined in all three bedrooms and there were spots and crinkled foil in each room.

I screamed at her, of course. For those of you who say, “Scolding an animal after they have misbehaved is confusing and does nothing,” well, I really didn’t care about the learning experience for her. It was about doing something other than tossing her over the fence, which is loving in its own way.

But it’s Christmas, time for joy and forgiveness. So I pet and love her little chocolate face, Next I pop the massive roast in the oven and turn to the sink. It’s backed up and full of water and “stuff”. Of course I turn on the garbage disposal. I got a B- in plumbing 101 but I must have failed that test as everything simply went to the other side of the sink. I put Draino in the sink. No bueno. I plugged the GD (garbage disposal, you potty mouths) side and started plunging. Nothing.

Oh well, guests arrived and we had a lovely evening. Throughout the evening we played our new favorite game. Plunge the Sink. Each guest took a turn plunging when going into or passing through the kitchen. But nothing helped. But we all chuckled.

I wiped the dishes, rinsed them in a bucket and hid them in the dishwasher to wash after someone who really understands plumbing helps me out. I’m going with the Scarlet O’Hara theme: I’ll worry about that tomorrow – the 26th as I’m going to spend today with friends and family.

But, my Christmas Eve was truly wonderful: full of love and happiness with family and friends. I wish the same for each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment